Organized in 1896 as the Shady Grove Baptist Church at the Shady Grove school house, which stood a few miles south of Ponder, the church was moved to the town of Ponder and the name was changed to Ponder Baptist Church in 1898. The church built its first building in 1901, then built another in 1946. Because of a growing community Ponder Baptist Church built it’s current building in 1994 and changed the name to First Baptist Church, Ponder. In spring of 2006, First Baptist started a church plant called Fellowship at the Ranch located at Robson Ranch. In fall of 2006, First Baptist Church, Ponder started a second church plant called Denton County Cowboy Church located off of Robinson road in Ponder. First Baptist has celebrated serving the Ponder community for over a hundred years. Our current senior pastor, Kim Broadstreet, has served First Baptist Church, Ponder since 1986.
First Baptist Church is affiliated with various associations and conventions at the local and national level.